Sustainability Saturday: Eco-Friendly Leather Bridles with PS of Sweden
Eco-Friendly Leather Bridles with PS of Sweden
As one of our bestselling leatherwork collections, PS of Sweden have taken the equestrian world by storm over recent years. Not only are their anatomically designed bridles horse-friendly, you’ll be pleased to hear that they are eco-friendly too! This is all thanks to the way in which their leather is produced and vegetable tanned.
At Eland Lodge we’re proud to be a UK stockist of the popular PS of Sweden collection including anatomical bridles, reins, browbands and breastplates.
What is eco-friendly leather?
The leather used in PS of Sweden bridles and leatherwork goes through a process known as vegetable tanning.
Vegetable tanned leather has gone through a natural chemical process (known as tanning), which transforms the raw and unusable leather to a rot-resistant, useful material for the creation of leather goods.
The vegetable tanning process uses dyes and substances available in nature (such as flowers, tree bark, vegetables etc.) to give the leather its unique characteristics and colouring.
It is also important to note that the leather used is a by-product of the food industry, so is using a natural resource that could otherwise become a waste product.
PS of Sweden visit their leather suppliers several times a year to perform quality controls on the materials and production, so you can be sure you’re getting the very best quality leatherwork.
What are the advantages of vegetable tanned leather?
- Only natural substances are used in the tanning process, making it much more eco-friendly
- No harmful chemicals are used or released in the process, so there is no negative impact on the environment
- The process has to be supervised by skilled and valued crafstmen
- Vegetable tanned leather rarely causes an allergic reaction, unlike leather which has been through a chrome tanning process and is much more likely to cause an allergic reaction
- Each skin keeps its unique characteristics
- The leather has a much nicer and more natural smell
- This tanning method allows the leather to retain a greater resistance and durability, which is essential for equestrian items which may be put under considerable force at times.
- If properly cared for, the leather improves over time rather than suffering negative aging consequences.